Thomas Middleditch!

Totally Laime Podcast

Talented comedy and improv actor, THOMAS MIDDLEDITCH joins us as one of only a few guests to make a repeat appearance and for good reason – he keeps us laughing through discussion of dick size, relationships, and oh yeah, whether or not he believes in an afterlife. Enjoy!

Will says:

Thomas shouldn’t be worried about his performance on the show. He’s funny and isn’t depressing in the slightest. He’s one of your best guests imo. Personally, I love the serious discussions interlaced with humor.

And as a fellow atheist I will say, regarding Elisabeth’s comment on science not knowing everything…that’s what sets science apart from faith/religions (not all but say the dominate ones like Christianity) and why it is so fabulous.

It’s machine that continues to gather knowledge over time and it’s constantly growing (and you can challenge it but you need more than just a wild thought that comes to mind/imagination). I think to say that people who believe in science are stupid (because science doesn’t know everything)…well, I don’t understand that. Just because science hasn’t figured out an aspect of nature/reality doesn’t mean it falls into the domain of the supernatural. It just means science has progressed that far (could be we don’t have the technology or methods to better research it, don’t have enough heads on it, etc).

With things like that I immediately think, there was a time when we didn’t know what the hell earthquakes or thunderstorms were. We didn’t have meterology or earth science to explain those phenomena. So, because it was unknown, it was believed to be caused by supernatural beings/gods.

Same goes with microbiology. How could we possibly know that there was a whole microcosm of life before the microscope was invented? We can’t see cells and viruses. People just got sick for some reason and had a myriad of symptoms and some people died suddently. Science and technology wasn’t advanced enough to explain it, so again it became privy to supernatural speculations. Demons, witches, bad karma, etc was the reason you got sick. Turns out there’s a whole shit ton of pathogens that are screwing us up.

Anywho, long rant, sorry. And none of that was angry rant btw. I just don’t agree that just because science can’t explain something currently, that it means it’s because it’s unknowable/supernatural. Religions have had to adjust over time as science as gradually peeled back the veil. Go science!

joe says:

two things:

Sauna/steam rooms. as i use the ole wheelchair i always wear swim trunks when i go into them as having someone help you (lifting/carrying) into one of those when you are butt naked is a bit too awkward for my comfort level.

Science/atheism: people who say they ‘believe’ in science are, in fact, idiots. Belief has nothing to do with it. Science trades in facts and you either know or don’t know something. The beauty of atheism is that you are able to admit you don’t know the answers to things and you won’t ascribe superstitions to fill in the blanks. That is where the conflict with religion tends to come in. Most literally religious people confronted with an unknown immediately revert to placing it within the mystical realm and workings of a ‘God’. I don’t necessarily count many people as this, mind you, most are just ‘socially’ religious as it is their social group that they are a part of and rely upon in many ways that are valid for mental health among many other reasons.

For me, I grew up with some exposure to religion but in reality my parents didn’t have much interest or belief in it. My father believes in the natural world, the cliche of the circle of life if you will. We lived on a farm in a very rural area so that fishing, hunting and farming was always a part of our existence. Never once did my parents insist on making religious decisions for us. I suppose I’m the exception compared to the average person, but early on I remember telling myself I would not be baptized unless i truly believed. I feel most people go through the rituals because that is just what you are ‘supposed’ to do in life, with little to no thought about what it all means and represents.

Also….don’t even get me started on my run ins as a disabled person with people that want to ‘pray for healing’ for me….that just angers me in a very fundamental way.

joe says:

forgot to add to the sauna/steam room part…. being in a wheelchair is unfun in gyms and the aforementioned….i’m eye level to way too many dudes’ junks…..

Will says:

@Joe: Belief also applies to science. You’re opening a can of worms, philosophically, regarding knowing something. I can’t tell you much about quantum physics or molecular biology, so I can’t say that I really ‘know’ them. I do, however, believe in the system that birthed and drives them. I believe in science and the method. I believe that scientists can’t just come up with crazy ideas and slap them into a textbook and call them fact or truth. They have to go through rigorous experimentation, analysis, and criticism from the scientific community. Which is the total opposite of religion/faith where it can mutate from person to person.

You can believe in science. It’s efficacy. There’s nothing idiotic about that.

Germ says:

The problem with your ill-thought out argument for some vague ‘supernaturalism’ is that while it’s fine and correct to recognize the limited scope of our knowledge, it’ s ridiculous to think you can then apply specificity to that unknown or unknowable domain. Put another way, saying ‘at this point there are things we just don’t understand’ followed by ‘here’s what I know about those things’ should appear blatantly hypocritical to someone who is so ‘classically smart.’

And let’s be honest Liz, calling atheists stupid is just your way of insulting people who are telling you the truth about your parents.

ONE OF YOUR EARLIEST LISTENERS,

GERM

Rocket says:

While I agree that what we know about the universe is very small on the large scale I think you’re, for lack of a better word, underestimating or under appreciating how much we do know about the universe at this point in our evolution.

Thomas asked “who’s to say atoms don’t retain some sort of memory?”. Well, Scientists do. Scientists and physicists who devote their lives to the study of our universe, through years of theory and experimentation, say that that’s not how atoms work.

Modern science doesn’t allow for the existence of an afterlife, soul, karma, or other “spiritual” pseudo science because, simply put, that’s not how atoms work. Just because scientists don’t know everything it doesn’t mean that we should throw aside what has been discovered in the meantime. That’s kind of like telling a math teacher, “Why should I believe you that 1+1=2 if you don’t know and won’t ever know everything there is to know about math?”.

I’m terrible with analogies but I hope people get what I’m trying to say. Anyways, I love the show. You guys make me want to be somebody.

Chester says:

Science is a method of rational inquiry. It is based on creating situations of falsifiability wherein hypotheses concerning the workings of the universe are tested and re-tested. As such, “science” doesn’t “know” anything at all. It’s merely an investigative method. Granted, there are certain questions that the scientific method is better or worse at addressing, but to claim that there is some vast wealth of knowledge or truth out there in the universe that science somehow cannot gain access to seems to me to represent a fundamental misunderstanding of what science fundamentally is.

nadja says:

You know what would be funny in this time and age? A guest that doesn’t self deprecate. Have you had any comedians on yet that brags about being really together, having had wonderful childhood and was really good in school?